I got this toy camera ( aka plastic lomo camera) for our honeymoon. I wanted to take picture all over Mauritius, even under water! I don't regret this purchase a second. I shoot two rolls and got lots of fun pictures! You can see some below. First let's talk a bit about the camera.
This Reusable Underwater Lomo Camera can be found anywhere from Amazon to Aliexpress. It's a 35mm plastic camera that comes in lots of bright colors and pretty designs ( Winnie the Pooh, flowers, fish, hearts etc.)
- 35mm film
- 28 mm wide angle plastic lens
- No batteries needed
- Focus free lens
After shooting two rolls of film underwater I can add my own pros and cons for this lomo toy:
- Floats on water, has a wrist strap. Super useful - when you don't take pictures you don't have to go out of water to leave your camera on a beach. You put a strap around your wrist and keep swimming and having fun. Even if it gets unattached you won't loose it: your plastic camera wll just float arond and it's easy to spot it due to the bright design.
- Small and light. Keep it with you every time you wear your swimsuit! :-)
- Cute design. As mentioned before: bright colors, soft rubber buttons, pretty prints.
- Processed at any photo finisher. Very important! I had many problems with different photo labs but they processed and scanned this one with no additional questions!
- Hard to use a view-finder. It is hard to take pictures in a salty sea/ocean: my body tends to float up which makes it hard to just wait for a good composition, I have to move constantly; using goggles plus this camera in a plastic case doesn't make the view clearer; not using goggles doesn't let me search for a good composition with my eyes open in salty water. So, most of the time I just shoot "blindly" which I guess adds surprise effect to the pictures.
- Leaks. Yes it does let some water in. Maybe in a week of being used it started to leak a little bit. It wasn't all flooded and water didn't damage the camera or a film roll but it left some salty stains inside.