We've moved!

Redirecting you to lublyou.com

Monday, November 5, 2012

what we wore: fashion cats in a small town

happy couple

Simon&Garfunkel - Leaves that are green


Whenever we take photos near the house, our fashion cat Uno joins us. He sees the camera and tries to get in the shot. Although when he's relaxing on a couch or just being cute, it's impossible to take a picture of him! Such an unpredictable guy. But he loves outfit photoshoots. My favorite photos of the day are below. Hahah Don't get too close to Uno!


Since we moved here in July we've been getting more and more relaxed about what we wear. The pace of life and the overall attitude toward self-presentation is very different in a small town than a big city. No one cares as much here about what you wear. As long as you look clean and you're not naked, you're fine. In a big city like Moscow it's very important to dress to impress. Every day. You're being judged everywhere: on your subway ride, on the street, in a store, at school, in the office, etc.  It's important to dress up. I would never ever wear the same thing two days in a row when I worked at an office in Moscow. And doing what might seem unreasonably uncomfortable -- like wearing high heels on your hour-and-a-half long public transport commute to work -- is an unspoken big city fashion rule, and you don't want to be the one who can't keep up with it. When you see other people around you going out of their way to look stylish every day, it motivates you to do it as well. 

Now it's a different story. If you look like you really spent time dressing up in Sandpoint, you sometimes hear jokes about it or at least get curious glaces. I lived in Bozeman, MT for a couple of summers and it was the same way. As my mom keeps telling me, I shouldn't give up on dressing up.  I should dress just as I did in Moscow.  But I slowly make my way down to flip-flops, tank tops and sweat pants, and it gets harder to motivate myself to really plan my outfits in advance and spend lots of time ironing, applying a different nail polish every day, wearing make-up and heels because I know that no one will see it or care if they do.

This is why I feel my blog is so important! I know that readers see my photos and are interested in things like fashion and personal style.  I am changing and my tastes, and preferences are changing, too. And through this blog, other blogs, your comments and advice I feel like I have more chances to stay in touch with fashion.  It's not that I don't like the more relaxed atmosphere, but I enjoy taking pride in what I wear and I don't want to lose my inspiration.

origagas
 jacket//thrifted; brooch//c/o Origagas; jeans//Levi's; shoes//from Moscow.

Ben is very supportive, too. I love his taste, he always looks stylish wherever we live. And I love shopping with him. Usually we pick out the same items and it makes a decision making process easier. Although he doesn't share my love of plushy fleece things, haha. I can't ignore homey, soft, cozy, fluffy things, but when I show Ben a cute white fleece hoodie or something like that, he just says: "It's OK".

 
 origagas
sweater//Insight; brooch//c/o Origagas; ring//ASOS; jeans//Mossimo Target; heels//Centro.

Here are a few cool things I also wanted to mention:

- Don't forget to enter this giveaway!
- We were featured in Lucky Magazine!
- I know Halloween is over but I really want to share my love for Kathryn's photoshoot! Check it out!
- Have you already had Holiday favorites at Starbucks? We had eggnog latte a couple of days ago! I've never had eggnog before, so I couldn't imagine what it'd be like. But I loved it! It's pretty thick though, I should have had a smaller cup. 
- This shop has the most adorable animal prints, cards and stickers on the planet! Of course, I've ordered some already :-)

13 comments:

Carlee, Little Sloth said...

Such cute photos! You two have great style and a very pretty kitty.
Carlee

Almost Endearing

Unknown said...

What a hip couple you two are! I love your style!! How adorable is your cat!! Love the brooch!! xoxo

Applewood Road said...

congrats on the lucky feature! you both look very snazzy :) and so does uno!

Rakel said...

Cute post! love it!

Matthew Spade said...

eventually you stop all the fancy dressing up and dress for yourself which then in turn looks the best and feel most confident. well that's the hope anyway. as long as you feel good it's working!

Briseidy said...

you look too cute! those jeans are amazing!

Missy said...

Your cat is so cool! I also like those jeans - I keep seeing printed jeans, so it feels like the 1990's again!

Amy said...

GREAT outfits, and i love love love that you throw your cat in there! :)

Jen Hsieh said...

Couple outfit photoshoots? Pretty adorable. I love that you two have matching origami brooches. :)

JennifHsieh

Katherine said...

i really love both brooches! they are lovely. and i kind of love living in a small town for that reason - i dress up a lot and i stick out a lot but i like the fact that i do. i get a lot of compliments and i hope i inspire people to dress how they want. anyhow that cat is awesome! what a funny guy he is. and i love the monochromatic look - you guys look perfect together

<3 katherine
of corgis and cocktails

Amanda English said...

What a super cute photo of the two of you! AND that cat is huge! I love cats... Hard to find cat lovers! lol

I found you via the Modern Modest Beauty linkup! Just wanted to let you know that I'm doing a Heylee B. Boutique Giveaway! I thought you might be interested.

xoxo
A-

Lindsey A. Turner said...

cute pants!

Lindsey
http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness, you two are the cutest! And so is the cat of course. I totally get what you mean about getting relaxed with your style. That was the reason I started my blog, because after having kids I started to just wear sweatpants and t-shirts everyday, which was not helping my self-esteem. Anyway, I am so glad you linked up to Sunday Style and I hope to see you next week!

Modern Modest Beauty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...